Voice Control of Select DTS Play-Fi-Enabled Products, Including Onkyo and Pioneer
A/V Receivers, Via Alexa-Enabled Products, to Be Available in January 2018
OSAKA, JAPAN, August 31. 2017 — Onkyo, the leader in smart, sophisticated, and wholly immersive entertainment solutions, today announces that select Onkyo and Pioneer DTS Play-Fi®-enabled products, including AVRs, sound bars, and speakers, will soon support the Amazon Alexa Connected Spealer APIs. This will allow voice-enabled selection of music and control via an Alexa enabled device, including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, Amazon Tap, Amazon Fire TV or any of the two new DTS Play-Fi wireless speakers featuring far-field Alexa Voice Service – the Onkyo Smart Speaker P3 and Pioneer Elite Smart Speaker F4 – that will begin shipping in late Q3/early Q4. DTS Play-Fi technology allows one or more devices to be linked together for multi-room music playback of Alexa streaming content and seamlessly interacts with other Alexa-enabled products to provide full group control of music playback.
Onkyo and Pioneer will roll out Alexa control through the Connected Speaker APIs to hundreds of current and new DTS Play-Fi-enabled products through firmware updates beginning in Q1 2018.
“With DTS Play-Fi’s support of Alexa and the Connected Speaker APIs, consumers will be able to control a whole-home audio system built from the brands they crave and control it with the voice service they love,” said Dannie Lau, general manager of the DTS Play-Fi division at Xperi. “DTS Play-Fi technology provides consumers unprecented choice in products ranging from AVRs to lifestyle systems to portable speakers and everything in between from the some of most prestigious brands in the Audio industry like Onkyo and Pioneer.”
“By integrating the Connected Speaker APIs and DTS Play-Fi, we are bringing Alexa control into hundreds of Onkyo and Pioneer Play-Fi products,” said Nobuaki Okuda, director and CTO, Onkyo Corporation and president, Onkyo and Pioneer Technology Corporation. “Our customers will enjoy the benefits of the world’s largest voice control ecosystem connecting with the broadest, most comprehensive multi-room streaming technology available to deliver a seamless smart home experience.”
Earlier this month, Onkyo and Pioneer began releasing firmware updates on several products to add support for DTS Play-Fi multi-room audio technology with additional product updates in slated for distribution throughout Q3 and Q4 of 2017. More than 200 current and new Onkyo and Pioneer products will launch with DTS Play-Fi support via a software update.
DTS Play-Fi technology enables lossless multi-room wireless audio streaming from the world’s most popular music services including Amazon Music, Deezer, iHeartRadio, KKBox, Napster, Qobuz, QQ Music, Pandora, SiriusXM, Spotify and Tidal, thousands of internet radio stations as well as personal music libraries on any supported product. The DTS Play-Fi ecosystem features the largest collection of products in the whole-home wireless audio space, with more than 30 interoperable speakers, sound bars, set-top boxes, and receivers from the top names in premium audio. The DTS Play-Fi platform allows products from different brands to interoperate seamlessly, giving consumers an optimized whole-home listening experience without the constraints of a single brand system.
Benefits of DTS Play-Fi Technology
• Multi-Room, Multi-Zone, Multi-User Listening Experience: Connect multiple audio systems that incorporate DTS Play-Fi technology into a zone and enjoy music in every room of your home, perfectly synchronized with no lag. create multiple zones and stream different music to different rooms from the same device. Every user in the home can simultaneously stream from different devices and PCs that incorporate DTS Play-Fi software to DTS Play-Fi-enabled products.
• Exceptional Sound Experience: DTS Play-Fi technology wirelessly transmits high-quality lossless audio.
• Whole-Home Range: DTS Play-Fi technology works everywhere your Wi-Fi® does, even if range extenders are used. It also works over Ethernet, Powerline, and other IP-based networking technologies. There is no need for proprietary bridges or routers. Most homes already have everything that is needed.
• Stream Anything. Control Everything: In addition to streaming music services, users can download Play-Fi apps for Android, iOS, and Kindle Fire to gain access to more than 20,000 radio stations, podcasts, local music, media servers, and select cloud-based music services. Set-up, link and control all of the speakers on the network from the same streamlined interfaces.
• Audio/Video Synchronization with Windows PCs: DTS Play-Fi technology supports true audio/visual synchronization when streaming audio from YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, or any other video source to a DTS Play-Fi speaker from a Microsoft Windows PC. DTS Play-Fi technology is the only multi-room streaming platform to offer lip-sync accurate synchronization with a video source, and the only whole-home platform with operating system-level integration compatible with every application and streaming service. The A/V sync feature is available for existing and new purchasers of the premium DTS Play-Fi HD Driver ($14.95). Additionally, all DTS Play-Fi Windows software supports Windows 10.
• Wireless Surround: DTS Play-Fi technology continues to revolutionize the industry with the introduction of wireless surround technology to provide an immersive home theater environment with discrete 5.1 surround sound.